As long as it is grown, harvested, and prepared in the Kona region of Hawaii, you may call it Kona coffee; it’s just the Arabica coffee that originates there. To put it another way, they derive their authority from the area that they are native to. Choose Kona coffee beans if you’d like to take your coffee-sipping to the next level.
Hawaiian Kona coffee is known for its enticing aroma, creamy flavor, and unusual fruity flavor. As a result, we’ve conducted research and selected nine of the Best Kona Coffees for your consideration.
Top 9 Picks For Best Kona Coffee
- Imagine Kona Ultraviolet Blu Light Infused Biodynamic Special Edition
- Hawaii Roasters Award Winning 100% Kona Coffee
- Blue Horse – Farm-fresh 100% Kona Coffee
- Starbucks – Private Reserve 100% Kona Coffee
- Greenwell Farms – 100% Full City Roast Kona Coffee
- MOUNTAIN THUNDER – 100% Kona Private Reserve
- Hawaiian Isles Kona Coffee
- Peaberry Kona Beans by Koa Coffee – Highest Quality
- Keala 100% Kona (Via BeanBox)
1. Imagine Kona Ultraviolet Blu Light Infused Biodynamic Special Edition
- Organic Whole Coffee Beans
- Made From Premium Hawaiian Kona Beans
- Air Roasted
- Medium Roasted
- 16 oz.
Enjoy UVB enhanced whole bean coffee. The Blu Room uses UVB light to process each bean, combining biodynamic coffee and modern technology to optimize flavors within every bag of medium roast coffee beans.
People know the value of outstanding coffee. So, they guarantee only freshly roasted coffee from the farm to your home. The gourmet coffee beans are exquisite.
You’ll love every sip of smooth, caramel, crème Brulee, and slightly nutty, fresh flavor from our beans. The slow maturing under macadamia trees, handpicking, and custom roasting gives this bean a delicate flavor.
The Biodynamic Special Edition single-origin coffee has a consistent taste and quality.
From cultivation to packaging, the same farmer monitors every step and demands excellence. Just around 10% of Kona coffee obtains this rating for size, weight, and defect-free.
The Kona Gold Medium/ Dark Roast Whole Beans won the renowned Kona Coffee Cupping Competition in the Kona Crown Competition Division.
- Excellent in a French press
- Exceptional in size, weight, and defect-free
- Strong flavor with no acid aftertaste
- Higher Price
- Freshness is missing
2. Hawaii Roasters Award Winning 100% Kona Coffee
- Taste: Delicate and Mild
- Roast: Medium Roast
- Type: Whole Bean
- Size: 14 oz. Bag
There is a fifteen-mile stretch of land in the Kona Coffee Belt, where the Hawaii Roasters coffee plantation is located.
Hand-picked and sun-dried for maximum freshness, Hawaii Roasters’ 100% Kona beans are the best in the business. The beans are dried and then roasted in tiny amounts to create a real one-of-a-kind cup of joe.
Forget about buying coffee that’s been lying around for too long — your beans will be freshly roasted.
A wide variety of options are available for purchasing beans: you can buy them whole, preground, or in recyclable K-Cup brewer-compatible K-Cups.
- No unpleasant aftertaste
- Light body and mellow flavor
- Pronounced secondary flavors
- Silky smooth
- Hawaii Governor’s Export Award Winner
- Delicious iced coffee
- Freshness preserved with rapid resealing
- The quality of beans sometimes lacks consistency
- Beans are roasted in Hawaii and may take a week or two to reach you.
- The complex flavor profile may not appeal to fans of dark roast.
Also Read: 9 Best Keurig Coffee Maker of 2021
3. Blue Horse – Farm-fresh 100% Kona Coffee
- 100% Kona Coffee
- Medium Roast
- Whole Beans
- 1 Lb. or 16 oz Bag
- Blue Horse 100% Kona Coffee in Hawaii
As a result of its dark roast and citrus flavor, some people may find Kona coffee overly harsh.
Coffee for Blue Horse originates from a single estate operated by a local family. It has a sweeter flavor and less acidity because the trees are cultivated in the shade.
Kona Blends and Styles aren’t what you’ll find in this coffee. Only Kona coffee berries cultivated in the coffee belt are used to make this product.
You may expect your beans to be roasted in small quantities before they are packaged and shipped to you. Your beans are packed in a zip lock bag, ensuring that they are always fresh.
- Premium coffee container maintains freshness
- Suitable for use in drip coffee or espresso drinks
- The company delivers excellent client service
- Requires a good coffee grinder for optimal flavor.
4. Starbucks – Private Reserve 100% Kona Coffee
- Taste: Citrusy with Notes of Nutty-Caramel
- Roast: Medium Roast
- Type: Whole Bean
- Size: 8.8 Ounces
Kona coffee and Kona mixes are highly regarded at Starbucks. Kona Private Reserve 100% Parry Estate Coffee is a high-quality coffee manufactured from peaberry coffee beans.
On the slopes of Mauna Loa, it is grown in a well-established plantation with a lemony, floral perfume and a sweet, caramelized flavor.
As a result of meticulous attention in cultivating, harvesting, and prepping this coffee for maximum flavor and freshness, Delicious and well-balanced, it should be enjoyed by everyone.
- Available in whole bean or all-purpose grind.
- Produces a wonderful cup of French Press coffee
- The aroma is strong and pleasant
- The flavor is versatile and well-balanced
- Those unfamiliar with black coffee may find this coffee bitter.
5. Greenwell Farms – 100% Full City Roast Kona Coffee
- 100% Kona Coffee
- Full City Roast
- Whole Bean Coffee
- 8oz – Silky bodied
- Sweet aroma with notes of fruit
- Roasted nuts, and caramel
The Greenwell family has owned and operated Greenwell Farms in the Kona district for more than 200 years! The farm where the beans are cultivated also roasts and packages the coffee that is sold here.
A syrup-like texture and a rich, fruity flavor characterize this extra-premium Kona. A tinge of chocolate and caramel with a citrus aftertaste can be found in this bean.
- Absolute Best Coffee ever
- Smooth and Delicious
- Little bit Citrus Taste
Also Read: 12 Best Grind and Brew Coffee Maker of 2021
6. MOUNTAIN THUNDER – 100% Kona Private Reserve
- 100% Kona Private Reserve
- 1-pound Premium Gourmet Vienna Roast Whole Bean
- Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation
The traditional Kona coffee plantation on Mt. Hualalai’s high elevated slopes provides the Mountain Thunder Pure Kona coffee, Private Reserve.
The family-owned estate’s unique microclimate is constantly exposed to the proper balance of rain, humidity, and sun, resulting in a flavorful and fresh wine.
Because it’s a medium-dark French roast, this mix has a smoky flavor.
People who have been drinking coffee since they were young or those who no longer experience the effects of caffeine but rather love it for its own sake are the only ones who fall into this category.
- There is no bitterness in the flavor.
- A great cup of coffee at a reasonable price is delivered quickly.
- The aroma and taste are fantastic!
- The way is Overpriced and not good.
7. Hawaiian Isles Kona Coffee
- 10 ounces of Kona Classic Ground Coffee
- Medium Roast
Hawaiian Isles is one of the most popular Kona Blend products in the United States. You’ll never want another harsh cup of coffee again once you try Hawaii’s Smooth and Uniquely Tasting Coffee.
In Oahu, Hawaii, near Pearl Harbor, and the heart of Oahu, we roast and package every bean ourselves!
Hawaii’s 2nd Generation Family-Owned Coffee Roaster. Just a couple of locals trying to spread a little aloha around the globe with no help from a giant corporation!
- Hawaii’s Finest Blend
- Taste the Warmth of Aloha
- Made fresh in Hawaii daily
- Family Owned
- Not Pure
8. Peaberry Kona Beans by Koa Coffee – Highest Quality
- Peaberry Medium Roast
- Whole Bean
- 100% Kona Coffee
The Peaberry Kona coffee beans from Koa Coffee are yet another excellent product. This particular sort of coffee bean is regarded as the most flavorful by many people.
These beans, which are smaller and more delicious, are the result of a genetic mutation in the coffee plant.
There are only a few peaberry-shaped fruits in the annual Kona crop. According to Koa Coffee, There are only a handful of peaberries in every 100 coffee beans.
There is a high demand for their Peaberry Kona because of its rarity. It is even smoother and sweeter than the standard one.
- K-softer Coffees and Sweeter Flavor Profile
- It’s a perfect match for Peaberry beans
- A consistently excellent Koa Coffee product.
- Limited Availability
9. Keala 100% Kona (Via BeanBox)
- Medium roast profile
- Origin(s): Hawaiian
- Tastes: Nutty, Passion Fruit, Coconut Typica
- Good for: French Press
- Varietal(s): Typical
Coffee roasted by Bean Box, a high-quality Seattle coffee roasting and subscription company. To ensure maximum freshness, these Extra Fancy grade beans are purchased straight from Kona coffee farmers on the Honolulu hills of Big Island.
Keala’s medium roast has a balanced flavor. Flavors are bright and fruity with coconut sweetness, whereas Keala states the main flavor is passion fruit. You can taste the intricacies of high-grade Kona without one flavor overriding the others.
The Keala beans are a good all-rounder beginning to this wonderful blend, coming from the lush volcanic soil of Holualoa.
- Ships freshly roasted
- Extra fancy grade beans obtained directly from farmers
- Medium roast for balanced flavor
- Low acidity also delivers little kick – but can be enhanced by Aeropress brew
- If you prefer a dark roast, they may lack body.
Also Read: 15 Best Instant Coffee of 2021
What is Kona Coffee?
There are many things to learn about Kona Coffee before you even begin your journey into its universe. Mineral-rich volcanic soil provides optimum growing conditions for coffee beans, making it perhaps the most important quality feature of this type of beverage.
The “Kona Coffee Belt” on Hawaii’s Big Island is a near-perfect combination of sunlight, moisture, and rainfall. This coffee-growing paradise is the result of a rare combination of weather and soil.
The outcome is a full-bodied brew with a distinct aroma. Regardless of brand, the best Kona coffee is a mild sedative, medium in body, with a mild chocolate flavor and a hint of earthiness.
Instead, then the typical bitterness associated with heavier coffees, this one has a more pleasant aftertaste of mellowness or even nuttiness.
What Makes Kona Coffee Unique?
Among Kona coffee’s most distinctive characteristics are its dark and porous volcanic soils rich in minerals. Volcanic ash from the Kona region of Hawaii has a unique mix of sunlight, rainfall, and humid temperature.
All of these variables combine to create one of the world’s best coffee-growing environments.
In addition, industry insiders love the flavor of this premium coffee. There are few 100% Kona coffees available in the market, but they are mostly blended with other types of coffee.
It also comes with a hefty price tag because of its superior quality. There are just a handful of places in the world where this type of coffee can be cultivated since it is so expensive. Thus, it is in short supply.
The price of a product containing Kona coffee is typically between $30 and $60. Kona gourmet coffees are more expensive to ship from the island because of this.
The Final Words:
Kona coffee may be worth the hype for some of us, given its status as a high-end brand. There are only a few places in the world where these rare coffee beans are grown, and those regions just so happen to have a very favorable microclimate, making their coffee plants one of the greatest in the world naturally. What a slap in the face from Mother Nature!
It doesn’t matter which company you choose to buy from; Kona coffee is a very exceptional beverage. If you’re looking for the best cup of coffee, look no farther than Hawaii’s Kona coffee belt, which has the perfect climate for producing the best beans.